European March of Memory and Friendship
General Conditions for participation
The 53th edition of the European March of Memory and Friendship will take place from 25 to 28June 2019. Do you feel like joining us this year for this upcoming huge celebration of sport, friendship and memory?
In this case you’ll find below the necessary information, which we recommend you to read attentively till the end.
- Formulas of participation
a. You can choose among FOUR formulas of participation:
(1) for those walking the FOUR days :
- Formula A – called « All In » : includes the march, but also the accommodation, all meals and the transportation by bus in the morning towards the departure area and at the end of the march back to the camp.
- Formula B – called « Meals & Transportation » : includes the march, but also the meals in a MESA camp, and the transportation (from the vicinity of the camp) up and down. For your accommodation, you are autonomous and you make your own arrangement.
- Formula C – called « Transportation » : includes the march and the transportation (from the vicinity of the camp) up and down. You make your own arrangement for your accommodation and meals.
(2) for those walking ONE to FOUR days in full autonomy:
- Formula D – called « Full autonomy » : includes only the march, but you are completely autonomous for your accommodation, meals and transportation.
b. Important remark: for the three first formulas, you are attached to ONE SINGLE camp for the entire period ; in other words, it is not allowed to move from one camp to another during the period of the event.
- The FOUR cities that are hosting a course in 2019 are successively Vielsalm (25 June), Houffalize (26 June), Saint-Ode (27 June) and La Roche-en-Ardenne (28 June).
- FOUR distances are foreseen every day: one loop of about 32 km (called « MESA »), one loop of about 24 Km, another loop of about 16 km (called « mini-MESA »), and a 8 km line.
- Those who choose the distance of 8 km will walk on the same itinerary as the 16 km till the big halt, and will thereafter be transported back to the departure area by a bus shuttle.
- New this year: during the second day, in Houffalize, the MESA is organizing a 24 km long TRAIL in the region. The followers of this discipline or those who wish to discover it will enjoy it! The registration is also online via the website of the MESA or on the day itself in the starting area.
- For the hikers, a « big halt » is organized halfway, but there are also additional supply points at different places on the course.
- Lodging Camps
- This year, three MESA camps will be settled: the first one will be managed by the campsite BENELUX of La Roche-en-Ardenne (reservation made for 400 campers of the MESA). The second is managed by the campsite VIADUC of Houffalize (300 persons), and the campsite RENVAL of Bastogne will host the third MESA camp (250 persons).
- The three camps have however only a limited capacity regarding both accommodations in military tents, as well as (parking) space for camper vans, caravans and private tents. Available places will therefore be allocated in chronological order of confirmed registration (your registration will only be confirmed after reception of your payment on our bank account).
- Only those who have taken the A, B or C formula are authorized to take the « MESA busses » that will ride between the camps and the start/end area.
- Those who are fully autonomous (formula D) join the start/end area with their own means. This is therefore the only option for those walking ONE day.
- Registration has to be done online or by post mail (not by phone!). It is always possible afterward to adapt your data as long as you stay in the deadlines of registration.
- All the formulas of registration are opened from half-March until June 10th. After this date, the only possibility to register for one or more courses is with the formula D (complete autonomy) in the starting area ON THAT VERY DAY of the course.
- Online registration is the easiest way to do it and certainly the fastest, and happens via the website of the MESA www.marche-mesa.com . You will receive an "identification number" and a "structured number", the latter being to be used in the window of communication of your bank payment.
- Registration by post remains possible forthose who do not want to register online. In this case, they have to pay directly, and they need to mention clearly their name, first name and city (and also for all persons they are paying for).
- If you make a grouped payment for several people (more than 2), it is absolutely required to send an email to the secretary MESA providing the list of the participants covered by your payment and the formula (A, B, C, or D) corresponding to each of them. Otherwise, it is quite difficult for the secretariat to identify the link between a payment and the related participants.
- Whatever the registration procedure, when the MESA registry has received your payment, you will receive a confirmation email. It will depict your registration summary and your starting card on page 2. This must be printed and will be used as a control card when walking.
If you do not have an email address, your MESA card and other participation documents will be delivered to you through the post. These documents are to be kept with care and presented at the time of the event.
Only those who have opted for formula A (All in), B (Meal & Transport) and C (transport) will not receive their MESA card through the post. It will be given to them on the day of their arrival during the check in at the reception of the camp.
- Cancellation and refunding
- Cancellation by the walker
- For the formulas A, B and C, any request for a cancellation of registration needs to be sent by email or by post, and not later than 10 June 2017. Within this deadline, the fee will be totally refunded.
Between 10 and 20 June, only 50% of the fee will be refunded, and at the condition that a medical certificate signed by a doctor is provided with the request.
After 20 June, no more cancellation will be reimbursed, due to the fact that all costs will have been definitively committed to the services and companies contracted by the organization.
- Cancellation by the organization
- In case of a cancellation by the organization (for example for security reasons), the walkers will get 100% of the fee back, or part of it, depending on the number of cancelled courses.
- As every year, a collective insurance against accidents will be contracted by the organization of the MESA. It covers the walkers in case of bodily injury in the frame of the event.
The warranties and the insured amounts are the same as in 2017 and are the following:
- Medical costs mentioned in the price list of the INAMI : up to 100% of the price list ;
- Dental prosthesis : maximum per accident = 500 € ; maximum per tooth = 125 €
- Transportation costs of the victim : same calculation as for an accident at work
- Funeral costs : up to 620 €
The costs exceeding these amounts fall to the walker himself and may not be charged to the organization.
- The liability of each walker remains engaged in case of individual or material damage when caused by him to other persons or materials.
- The personal data provided during the registration process will remain confidential and will never leave the frame of the organization of the event.
- If a walker refuses that a picture showing himself – or one of his children – amongst a group of less than FIVE people, is published on the website of the MESA or on the Facebook page, or is used for the promotion of a future edition of the MESA, he needs to inform in writing the MESA secretary. He is also requested to send an ID picture allowing us later on to identify the concerned person. Otherwise, the use of the picture is considered as authorized.
When proceeding for the registration, you admit having acquainted yourself with the points mentioned above and you accept them.
Dear walker, we are looking forward to seeing you again in our beautiful Belgian Ardennes for this 53 th edition of the MESA that seems to become an unforgettable moment.
Tanguy de Maere
MESA webite: www.marche-mesa.com
Postal Address : Secretary MESA
Camp Roi Albert 1er , 65, route de Liège
6900 Marche-en Famenne
Phone of Secretary MESA : 02/442.24.82
Email : email@example.com
Bank account Code IBAN : BE28 0689 0480 5620
Code BIC : GKCCBEBB